Jump to navigation
Proceed to checkout
You are here
PP-12611 - Spelling Works Book 3 [R] 9781864412611
Spelling Works Book 3 [R]
While Stocks Last
Spelling Works! is a structured spelling program for children in Years 3 - 6.
It contains sequential and consistently developed spelling activities.
Within each book, strategies and skills are introduced and then reinforced in later
units. Students become familiar with the most frequently used words while also
developing strategies for spelling new words.
A teacher can use Spelling Works! as the basis of a thorough spelling program.
This book focuses on the major strategies including spelling rules, word families,
syllabification, proof reading, visual memory, word building and analogy.
It includes work on using a dictionary and exercises on blends, compound words,
contractions and homophones.
Spelling Works! also includes a program of exercises in word study and correct
usage. When writing, students have to make many decisions that involve
choosing base words, adding prefixes and suffixes and then spelling them
correctly to create sentences that make sense. Knowing and using the
grammatical parts of speech, writing sentences, using punctuation and building
on base words are all an integral part of creating meaningful texts.
The structure of this book:
- The left page introduces new concepts or rules while the right page reinforces
concepts. That means the left page is suitable for classroom use while the right
could be used as part of a homework program.
- For each term there are eight units plus a review. The second page of each
unit has a text that uses list words in context. These linked texts use a variety
of writing styles to add interest and make spelling an integrated part of your
- Term reviews allow teachers to ascertain whether concepts have been grasped.
- To cater for the different abilities within a classroom there are basic lists and
extension words in each unit.
- Room has been left for children to add their own words and challenge activities
are included in each unit.
- Answers to all activities are provided in an eight page lift-out section.
- The dictionary included in each book is a simple, easy to use reference
that allows students to work independently.
- Spelling Rules - a quick guide appears at the back of this book.
Get A Catalogue
© 2015 EDSCO Online. All Rights Reserved.